Treasure Chest Thursday - World War II Memorabilia  

Posted in , , ,

My grandfather, Joseph Holik, was a Seaman 1st class in the U.S. Naval Armed Guard during World War II. I have a copy of the U.S. Navy Handbook given to the men during Basic Training. This books is filled with all the information a Sailor needs to be successful, survive, and do his job to the best of his ability. The book is old and falling apart but very treasured. It is a part of my grandfather, who I never know, that I can hold on to.

Another treasured item I have was not given to the family during the War, but several years later when my grandfather died. The American Flag that draped his casket. His flag rests in a flag box surrounded by his medals.

I am honored to be the family's keeper of these precious links to his life.

This entry was posted on Thursday, June 10, 2010 at Thursday, June 10, 2010 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment

gencollage

Blogging For Ancestors

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random

alt-webring.com