I was thinking about my Treasure Chest Thursday post and realized since I am away visiting family, I have no photos to post of something old. Today I will post something new. This photo was taken in St. Thomas, USVI. 

About the same time I started my family history research, about 14 years ago, I also became a serious scrapbooker. At that time I had no children, just my old photos to put in albums. After I had my first son I documented his whole life in photos, stories, single words scattered on a page, his artwork and school work. When I had my twins four years later, I now had this task of documenting their lives as well. What I did for one, I had to do for all of them. Lots of work!  Now we come to the present day where my oldest is nine and a half and my twins are just about to turn five and I have more scrapbooks than I can count. But you know what, it is all worth it to see the look on their faces when they look at their history.

Not only do I record their history in these albums, but I create special albums documenting special trips, like the Disney Cruise we took Christmas of 2007 with my side of the family. We visited St. Thomas and spent a wonderful day at Coral World and the beach. We snorkeled, saw iguanas and colorful fish, played in the sand and just wore ourselves out having fun. My best memory from that day was the drive back to the ship and me sitting in the back of the van with two sleeping two year old twins on me. They had so much fun.

I think it is important not only to record our ancestor's history, but our own "new" history. Someday our "new" history will become the "old" history for our descendants. Wouldn't it be nice to leave them a wonderful "page turner" to read that really illustrated our lives and who we were?

How are you documenting your current history? Do you scrapbook? Do you keep a journal or diary? Do you put pen to paper and send letters that someone is saving for you?

This entry was posted on Thursday, June 17, 2010 at Thursday, June 17, 2010 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Beautiful. Neat!

May you keep sharing your ancestor stories!

Bill ;-)

http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
Author of "Back to the Homeplace"
and "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories"
http://www.examiner.com/x-53135-Springfield-Genealogy-Examiner

June 17, 2010 at 4:15 PM

Thank you for reminding us that our 'current' history is just as important as our ancestors past.

June 17, 2010 at 9:40 PM

Post a Comment

gencollage

Blogging For Ancestors

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random

alt-webring.com