I just stumbled upon a mind boggler and I'm hoping someone can help me understand what is going on here. I was on Ancestry.com looking at my tree and pulled up Rose La Mantia Murabito. She had a hint for a historical record. The record is a Naturalization document index card. Stamped on the card it says REPATRIATED.

Here is the puzzling thing, Rose was born in Chicago on March 3, 1892. I have a copy of her birth certificate. Yet in 1939 she was repatriated and granted citizenship. She wasn't born in Italy. Her father became a U.S. citizen in 1899 and applied for a passport in 1906. Why was she repatriated? What caused her to lose her U.S. citizenship?

If you have run across this in your research and can shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.

This entry was posted on Monday, June 21, 2010 at Monday, June 21, 2010 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

4 comments

Perhaps she lost her citizenship through marriage?

Here's some info on reacquisition of citizenship lost by marriage.

June 21, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Holy cow! It would appear since she married an Alien in 1908, she lost her U.S. citizenship. I'm not sure her husband became a citizen as I have been unable to locate proof. He died six years before she pursued naturalization.

Thanks for the info. I looked online today for something like this and couldn't find anything.

June 21, 2010 at 6:39 PM

My grandmother was also born in the US and because she married an Italian citizen she lost her U.S. citizenship as well. She also had to re apply.

June 25, 2010 at 1:29 AM

Glad it helped. And I'll be following you over to Wordpress. Come and see me sometime because I do a lot of Chicago research too:

www.sassyjanegenealogy.blogspot.com

June 26, 2010 at 4:52 PM

Post a Comment

gencollage

Blogging For Ancestors

Home/Join | List | Next | Previous | Random

alt-webring.com